Monday, July 21, 2008
Prof. Potter's philosophical chat
During Prof Potter's class today, I felt that she brought up an interesting and very relevant topic concerning our feelings towards the MAC program. I think we've discovered by now that the next year is going to be fairly difficult and intensive. SMAC is certainly not for the faint of heart, and there will probably be times that we want to throw our books out the window and quit:) I think that there will also be times when we question our desire and commitment towards becoming teachers. However, I feel that this is normal and to be expected. The life experience that I have up to this point is not extensive and it's difficult for me to say with determination that I want to be a teacher for the rest of my life. There are some things that I know for certain such as: I thoroughly enjoyed teaching French in Colorado at an elementary school, I have a passion for learning languages and hope to learn more in the future, I am excited to share my passion with others, and while this program is a lot of work, I really enjoy being back in school again. But there are also things that I cannot say with certainty such as: I don't know if I will still want to be a teacher in 5 years, 10 years....I may decide that I would like to pursue an alternate career. I don't know if I will enjoy teaching at the Secondary level. These are questions that I contemplate currently, and did so before I chose this program. However, I feel that the "things I know" are fairly significant and I also feel confident in my choice to complete this program, despite some doubts. I want to become a teacher, I want to share my knowledge of languages, but I don't know if this will be my only career, and I'm okay with that. Personally, I think that I will have a couple different careers during my lifetime and that makes me excited. I enjoy learning and and hope to explore various jobs and options once I've obtained this degree. I think that this program is an excellent way to start my career as a French teacher and I know that I will receive a good education at this University. Knowing this, I feel comfortable saying that teaching will be my starting point, but it may not be my ending point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing this, Kelly. It seems to me that you have things in good perspective. I do think that teaching is an emotionally intense profession, which is part of the reason why (like MAC) the highs and lows may be a bit more pronounced. My only piece of wisdom here is that, no matter how noble your intentions or motivations may be, you can't go into teaching for the sake of others. It has to work for you, and it has to bring YOU pleasure, or it won't work well for anyone.
Sounds like you've figured that out already, though...
Hi Kelly-
I also am not quite sure what to think about Potter's discussion. While I think it is important, because this program is so intense (and expensive) that we are confident in our choice, I also think that no career has to be a life-long choice. I think the average person actually has about 4 careers in their life, and I see teaching as a stepping stone into something like administration, school psychology or counseling, or even something outside the field of education like business. Many of the skills that we will learn through teaching can translate into other areas like business, law, policy, etc. Basically, I'm with you!
- Alli
I really like your perspective on this issue. I think that for most of us we are far to young/inexperienced to commit to one thing for the rest of our lives. I think what you have shared here is a great mind set of being open-minded and flexible, but passionate. I feel confident saying that I think you will be a great teacher because you will only stay in it if you feel called to do so. That kind of confident personality is great!
I agree with your statement also, that teaching does not have to be our only career choice. At first, when I decided to do this program, I was worried that I was making a mistake by blocking myself into a particular career that I wasn't even sure I wanted. But I realized that just receiving the Masters degree and having these experiences is an amazing opportunity, whether or not we become teachers or move in a different direction.
Yes, but I would also add that I notice a passion in you. And even if you don't stick with teaching, I'll bet you'll keep that passion and affect people around you...is that still teaching :) ?
I really appreciated your perspective on this as well, Kelly. As someone who is in this program as part of a career change I certainly understand what you mean! As far as I am concerned, change is what makes life interesting and exciting! I think yours is a great attitude to have and I can tell you have put alot of thought into it. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Kelly!
In your post here, you express many sentiments that I can still say I share, having finished the MAC program. And I am glad that you are "okay" with your uncertainty as to your future in teaching. You should feel okay. Anyone would much rather have a committed, entirely devoted teacher for four years than a burnt out unhappy teacher for 10. As long as you give your students all you have while you have them, this is what matters.
I will say that I also at times felt that I wanted to throw my books out the window and check out of MAC. It is intense, it is difficult, but it was hands down one of the greatest moves I made in my education, and I do not regret one bit of it. I learned a TREMENDOUS amount in the program that will benefit me no matter where I end up.
Good for you for sharing your honest thoughts
-Audry
Post a Comment