Tuesday, July 15, 2008
First Blog:)
I have never done my own blog before, or commented on another person's blog, so this is a new experience for me. Hopefully mine will become more creative and exciting, but for now I'm still just getting used to all these new things, so I'll keep it pretty simple. I thought that the activity we did last Friday was interesting because we were able to create our ideal classroom environment. Although we can't expect to have all this equipment when we begin teaching, we can have a vision for of the classroom we'd like to have one day and work towards achieving that goal. There are so many available technologies today that would certainly aid in teaching students and reaching them on a different level, but I also think it's important to remember that technology is not the only way to make a connection. I really appreciated the comment that Laura S. made about the education she received before the huge wave of technology hit us and how she intends to educate her students. It's strange to think about those times, before cell phones, laptops, WI's ( I don't even know if that's spelled right, which is why this class is an absolute necessity for me:)....), but people did manage to make it through the day without any of these devices. I really admire Laura's point of view, and I think that she is right in feeling this way for several reasons. However, I do think that there are some fun and interesting ways to incorporate technology into the classroom and still form personal relationships with your students, which is what I hope to do. Of course, that means I'll have to figure out how to do all this technology stuff in the first place, which is another issue.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your blog writing is so incognito! Is that a legitimate teaching strategy? Make blog posts with seemingly black posts to raise curiosity until the kids highlight all the text and read it that way? I'd use it ;)
One of the big issues for all teachers (whether in year one or year 30) is the extent to which we can/are able to/are comfortable with trying to approach teaching in even slightly different ways from those with which we're familiar. It just runs counter to human nature, I think. Because of that, Liz and I are grateful for the fact that people are willing to give us the benefit of the doubt. Laura's cautions are well taken, and perhaps they only magnify the importance of allowing ourselves the time to think about the kind of experience we want to offer our students. I'd submit that if we think carefully about that, we're in a much stronger position when we think about tools, approaches, and the like.
Actually Lewis, the "incognito" strategy was not intentional, I'm simply technologically challenged and didn't realize that my font color was white...I can guarantee more awesome moves like this in the near future..!
Technology is confusing! But it can be so fun...
It seems like so many of the high schoolers I know have all sorts of devices on them at any given time. Cell phones, Ipods, laptops, Gameboys... They know how to work the things but I'm not sure they know how the things work.
If that makes sense.
Anyhow, we will all figure it out together, thank goodness!
(-:
Post a Comment